Eastern North Carolina barbecue is known for roasting a whole hog paired with a thin, spicy vinegar sauce. When added to the meat, the natural pork flavor is enhanced to create a juicer, flavorful meat.
Try our recipe for eastern style barbecue sauce for the whole hog and let us know your preference – Eastern or Western North Carolina Barbecue?
• 1 cup white vinegar
• 1 cup cider vinegar
• 1 tablespoon brown sugar
• 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
• 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
• 1 tablespoon hot sauce
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon black pepper
• In a medium saucepan, combine vinegar, brown sugar, pepper, hot sauce, salt and pepper
• Whisk until sugar and salt have dissolved, then remove from heat
• Let sauce cool then pour into a glass jar or vinegar-style bottle
• Allow ingredients to sit for at least 12 hours to allow the flavors to blend
• Shake occasionally, and store for up to 2 months in the fridge
• Use as a basting and finishing sauce alongside your grilled hog and enjoy!
Whether you’re a fan of Eastern or Western style, we suggest pairing your favorite sauce with this whole hog recipe from the experts with the Whole Hog Barbecue series, for the perfect pig pickin’!
Cowboy All Natural Range Style Hardwood Briquets provide long-lasting, even heat while adding the authentic, smoky flavor of hardwood. They are all natural – no fillers, chemicals, or additives. Other standard briquets contain “coal and chemical” ingredients, as well as fillers like limestone. Discover the natural difference of Cowboy All Natural Hardwood Briquets!
Cowboy Oak & Hickory Hardwood Lump Charcoal is made from one ingredient - wood. Made in the USA, we use only the highest quality oak and hickory hardwoods.
Cowboy smoking chips add a delicate, smoky flavor to your grilled foods. The cups contain pre-measured chips that burn more quickly than chunks, so they’re perfect for shorter barbecue cook times.
Cowboy Hardwood Lump Charcoal lights quickly and burns long. It’s a favorite for barbecue fans because of the authentic smoky flavor it gives to your meals.