The Cowboy way to grill donuts from scratch.
This recipe borrows from the old fashioned frontier donuts known as bear signs. Of course, you can opt for pre-made glazed donuts, dusted with cinnamon and sugar and grilled until puffy and caramelized on each side. This recipe offers the scratch-made instructions.
• 1 cup buttermilk
• 2 eggs, lightly beaten
• 1 cup granulated sugar
• 1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
• 2 tablespoons baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
• 4 cups flour
• 1/4 cup coconut milk
• Powdered sugar for garnish
• Coconut oil for oiling grill grates
• In a large bowl, mix buttermilk, melted butter sugar and eggs until well blended. Be sure to add the eggs last to prevent the melted butter from scrambling them.
• In a second bowl, combine baking powder, salt, cinnamon and flour.
• Slowly add the dry ingredients to the bowl with the wet ingredients and mix until well blended. The mix should be stiff enough to hold a spoon upright – if your dough is too thin, add more flour.
• Knead dough lightly for a minute or so, and then place onto a floured board or counter top.
• Using a floured rolling pin, roll out to about 1/4 inch.
• Use a small glass or biscuit cutter to cut dough into uniform circles. A small bottle lid works perfectly to create the center hole.
• Allow the cut dough to rest for 5 minutes.
• While dough is resting, pour 1 inch of oil in a large skillet and heat to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
• Test the oil by dropping in one of the holes or a dough scrap. The oil is hot enough when the dough crisps up in about 1 minute.
• Slide the circles into the frying pan and brown both sides.
• Drain fried donuts on a plate covered with paper towels.
• While still warm, brush donuts with coconut milk and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
• Place the donuts over hot grill grates which are well-oiled with coconut oil or another mild flavored oil.
• Grill until puffy or grill marks appear.
• Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve warm.
Cowboy® All Natural Hickory Hardwood Briquets are made with up to 15% real hickory wood. The full, woodsy flavor these briquets provide pairs particularly well with beef, chicken, pork and turkey.
Cowboy All Natural Range Style Hardwood Briquets provide long-lasting, even heat while adding the authentic, smoky flavor of hardwood. They are all natural – no fillers, chemicals, or additives. Other standard briquets contain “coal and chemical” ingredients, as well as fillers like limestone. Discover the natural difference of Cowboy All Natural Hardwood Briquets!
Cowboy Hardwood Lump Charcoal lights quickly and burns long. It’s a favorite for barbecue fans because of the authentic smoky flavor it gives to your meals.
Cowboy Oak & Hickory Hardwood Lump Charcoal is made from one ingredient - wood. Made in the USA, we use only the highest quality oak and hickory hardwoods.