The Cowboy way to grill donuts from scratch.
This recipe borrows from the old fashioned frontier donuts known as bear signs. Of course, you can opt for pre-made glazed donuts, dusted with cinnamon and sugar and grilled until puffy and caramelized on each side. This recipe offers the scratch-made instructions.
• 1 cup buttermilk
• 2 eggs, lightly beaten
• 1 cup granulated sugar
• 1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
• 2 tablespoons baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
• 4 cups flour
• 1/4 cup coconut milk
• Powdered sugar for garnish
• Coconut oil for oiling grill grates
• In a large bowl, mix buttermilk, melted butter sugar and eggs until well blended. Be sure to add the eggs last to prevent the melted butter from scrambling them.
• In a second bowl, combine baking powder, salt, cinnamon and flour.
• Slowly add the dry ingredients to the bowl with the wet ingredients and mix until well blended. The mix should be stiff enough to hold a spoon upright – if your dough is too thin, add more flour.
• Knead dough lightly for a minute or so, and then place onto a floured board or counter top.
• Using a floured rolling pin, roll out to about 1/4 inch.
• Use a small glass or biscuit cutter to cut dough into uniform circles. A small bottle lid works perfectly to create the center hole.
• Allow the cut dough to rest for 5 minutes.
• While dough is resting, pour 1 inch of oil in a large skillet and heat to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
• Test the oil by dropping in one of the holes or a dough scrap. The oil is hot enough when the dough crisps up in about 1 minute.
• Slide the circles into the frying pan and brown both sides.
• Drain fried donuts on a plate covered with paper towels.
• While still warm, brush donuts with coconut milk and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
• Place the donuts over hot grill grates which are well-oiled with coconut oil or another mild flavored oil.
• Grill until puffy or grill marks appear.
• Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve warm.
Cowboy Oak & Hickory Hardwood Lump Charcoal is made from one ingredient - wood. Made in the USA, we use only the highest quality oak and hickory hardwoods.
Cowboy All Natural Range Style Hardwood Briquets provide long-lasting, even heat while adding the authentic, smoky flavor of hardwood. They are all natural – no fillers, chemicals, or additives. Other standard briquets contain “coal and chemical” ingredients, as well as fillers like limestone. Discover the natural difference of Cowboy All Natural Hardwood Briquets!
Cowboy® All Natural Hickory Hardwood Briquets are made with up to 15% real hickory wood. The full, woodsy flavor these briquets provide pairs particularly well with beef, chicken, pork and turkey.
Cowboy Hardwood Lump Charcoal lights quickly and burns long. It’s a favorite for barbecue fans because of the authentic smoky flavor it gives to your meals.