This dip is great as both a basting sauce and serving sauce for any smoked meat, and the combination of wood smoke and the muscle meat make for delicious BBQ.
Last month, Cowboy began highlighting the different styles of BBQ from all over the U.S., beginning with Kansas City. Our next stop on the spotlight series is Kentucky, known for its mutton-based barbeque.
Western Kentucky specializes in slow smoked mutton, a tender sheep that is traditionally served with a savory Worcestershire-based dip that contains vinegar and spices.
• 1 five-pound piece of mutton
• 2 cups water
• 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
• 1/2 cup vinegar
• 2 tablespoons brown sugar
• 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
• 1/4 teaspoon allspice
• 1/4 teaspoon garlic, diced
• 1/4 teaspoon onion salt
• 1 teaspoon black pepper
• 1 teaspoon salt
• Soak Cowboy Natural Wood Chips, flavor of your choosing in water for at least 30 minutes
• Remove and dispose of exterior fat and silver skin found underneath the mutton
• Fill half of grill with Cowboy Hardwood Lump Charcoal and light
• In a small bowl, combine allspice, garlic, onion salt, black pepper and salt
• Combine water, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, and lemon juice in a large saucepan, whisking to combine
• Add dry ingredients to saucepan and mix until combined
• Place saucepan over medium heat and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally
• Remove sauce from heat and allow to cool for several minutes
• Once grill is hot and coals have ashed over, add the wood chips to the hot coals
• Place mutton over indirect heat
• Cover grill and allow mutton to cook for 4 hours, adding lump and soaked wood chips as needed, until tender
• Using a basting brush, coat mutton with thick layer of mixture every hour, ensuring that you leave enough for dipping during the meal
• Transfer the grilled mutton to a cutting board and let rest for 10 minutes
• Thinly slice the mutton off the bone in 1/8 to 1/4 inch slices
• Serve remaining sauce in bowl as a dipping sauce for individual pieces and enjoy!
Cowboy Hardwood Lump Charcoal lights quickly and burns long. It’s a favorite for barbecue fans because of the authentic smoky flavor it gives to your meals.
Cowboy® 100% All Natural Mesquite Wood Chips add a smoky flavor to your grilled foods. The unique sweet aroma of mesquite wood adds a western taste that goes well with any meat, but pairs particularly well with beef and chicken. Like all Cowboy® Wood Chips, these mesquite wood chips burn more quickly than chunks, making them perfect for shorter cook times.
Cowboy® 100% All Natural Hickory Wood Chips add a smoky flavor to your grilled foods. The hearty aroma and full flavor of hickory wood gives meat an unmistakable woodsy taste. This flavor goes well with any meat, but pairs particularly well with beef, pork and chicken. Like all Cowboy® Wood Chips, these hickory wood chips burn more quickly than chunks, making them perfect for shorter cook times.
Cowboy® 100% All Natural Apple Wood Chips add a smoky flavor to your grilled foods. The crisp, sweet aroma from the rich apple wood smoke will enhance any grilling experience. This apple wood flavor goes well with any meat, but pairs particularly well with chicken, fish and pork. Like all Cowboy® Wood Chips, these apple wood chips burn more quickly than chunks, making them perfect for shorter cook times.
Cowboy smoking chips add a delicate, smoky flavor to your grilled foods. The cups contain pre-measured chips that burn more quickly than chunks, so they’re perfect for shorter barbecue cook times.