Get the best of both worlds by smoking AND grilling steak.
Take any cut of steak, smoke it on a low temperature for about an hour, then sear it over a hot fire. The combination of cooking low & slow, and then searing hot & fast, results in a super juicy steak with an amazing crust.
Yields: 1-2 servings
Cook: 1 hour 15 minutes
Prep: 10 minutes
• 1 Ribeye steak (about 12-16 ounces)
• 1 tablespoon sea salt
• 1 tablespoon fresh black pepper
• 1 tablespoon cinnamon
• Other: A grill that can smoke on low heat (i.e. anything with a lid)
• Light the Cowboy Hardwood Lump Charcoal in a charcoal chimney or mound inside your grill and let burn for 10-15 minutes. (Optional) Add 3-4 small pieces of hickory wood to the top of the charcoal for added flavor!
• Once charcoal is hot, place in grill on one side and leave room so that you can add more charcoal/wood later
• Close the lid on your grill and wait for the temperature to reach 275-300F
• While waiting, season the steak with salt, pepper, and cinnamon on both sides.
• When temperature is ready, place steak on opposite side of charcoal. Let the steak roast for about 45-50 minutes (or until the internal temperature for steak is 120F) Make sure to add charcoal/wood chunks to maintain a consistent temperature!
• Pull steak off grill and let rest for 10 minutes
• While steak is resting, prep your grill to be as hot as possible
• When fire is ready, place steaks on grill for 1 minute per side
• For cross grill marks, do 30 seconds on one side then turn 90 degrees for another 30 seconds. Flip steak and repeat process
• Pull steak off hot fire, slice and enjoy!
Cowboy® 100% All Natural Cherry Wood Chips add a smoky flavor to your grilled foods. The unique crisp aroma from rich cherry wood smoke will enhance any grilling experience. This cherry wood flavor goes well with any meat, but pairs particularly well with beef, chicken and seafood. Like all Cowboy® Wood Chips, these cherry wood chips burn more quickly than chunks, making them perfect for shorter cook times.
Cowboy Hardwood Lump Charcoal lights quickly and burns long. It’s a favorite for barbecue fans because of the authentic smoky flavor it gives to your meals.
Cowboy® 100% All Natural Mesquite Wood Chunks add a smoky flavor to your grilled foods. The unique sweet aroma of mesquite wood adds a western taste that goes well with any meat, but pairs particularly well with beef and chicken. These mesquite wood chunks are larger than chips, making it easy to maintain a steady long-term smoke source.