As the weather has started to cool down, we’ve been dabbling with our favorite comfort food on the grill: good ole’ grilled cheese. In the past, we’ve perfected and shared our recipes for delicious Pesto Tomato Grilled Cheese and Grilled Bacon Apple Cheddar sandwiches. This time? We spiced things up with our Avocado and Sun-Dried Tomato Habañero Grilled Cheese.
Don’t underestimate the power of avocado with sun-dried tomato – it can completely transform the classic grilled cheese into a delicious nuanced sandwich, complementing the melty white cheddar and spicy habañero jack with buttery soft avocado and tangy tomato.
Avocado and Sun-Dried Tomato Habañero Grilled Cheese
Yield: 4 sandwiches
• 2 ounces white cheddar cheese, shredded
• 2 ounces habañero cheddar or spicy jack cheese, shredded
• 8 slices of quality artisan bread – we prefer Como
• 3 ounces sun-dried tomatoes
• 1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted and cut into thin slices
• 1/4 teaspoon of salt
• 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• Fill grill with Cowboy Hardwood Lump Charcoal and light
• Combine white cheddar and habañero cheddar together in a small bowl and sprinkle evenly over four of the bread slices, reserving one ounce of the cheese for later
• Top each slice with sun dried tomatoes and avocado slices, distributing evenly
• Season avocado slices and sun dried tomatoes with salt and pepper
• Sprinkle remaining cheese on top of avocado and tomatoes and top with remaining slices of bread
• Paint exterior faces of bread with olive oil and place on the grill over medium-direct heat
• Cook sandwiches for 3-5 minutes, flipping once
• Remove from grill and enjoy!